- What domains can I buy at FatCow?
- What if I already bought my domain elsewhere and just want to transfer it to FatCow?
- What if I already bought my domain elsewhere and just want to manage it on FatCow?
- Log into your Control Panel.
- Go to Domain Central.
- Select Register New.
- Type the name of the domain you want to buy (example: If you want to buy "your-domain.com", type in "your-domain").
Important: Also see domain name requirements.
- Click Register.
- Use the screen that appears to select any number of domains and domain extensions to add to your shopping cart.
Important: Having Add Domain Privacy checked when you click any Add or Add to Cart buttons will include Domain Privacy with your purchase order. Leave unchecked if you would prefer not to purchase domain privacy. Domains which do not qualify for Domain Privacy will not have domain privacy added even if the box is checked.
- Click on your Cart to proceed.
- Use the dropdown(s) to select the number of years to purchase.
- Click Continue.
- Verify your information on the next screen.
- Click Continue.
- Select your billing method using the on-screen options.
- Click CHECKOUT to place your order. Your will be charged immediately and the domain will appear inside of Domain Central usually within minutes of being purchased, however, your domain may require up to 48 hours to fully register onto your account.
If you run into errors while trying to buy your domain, visit our troubleshooting section for guidance.
What Characters are Allowed in a Domain Name?
Can I Cancel the Registration of a New Domain?
Domain names cannot be changed or refunded, even if you've accidently spelled them wrong (see FatCow's Domain Registration Agreement). We encourage you to double-check the spelling of your new domain before finalizing the purchase.
Why Can't I See My Domain?
There are two common reasons why you might not see your domain online just after purchasing it:
- While a lot of domains finish their initial registration within a couple of minutes, some could take up to 72 hours. Contact us if your domain still hasn't finished registering after 72 hours. Remember that you can always check the registration status of your domain by doing a Whois Lookup.
- If you just bought your domain through FatCow and are intending to host your website elsewhere, you'll first need to update your nameservers to refer to your hosting company (see Domain Management - Updating Nameservers).
Can I Host a Website Without Purchasing a Domain?
It's a good idea to purchase a domain because it makes it much easier to find your website. But, if you still haven't decided on a good domain name to purchase, you can access your website by using this address:
Error: Improper Telephone Format
Some domains (such as .biz, .org, and .info) ask that your telephone number to be in a specific format. Use a "+" symbol followed by your international calling code, followed by a period, followed by your complete telephone number (no hyphens, spaces, or parenthesis).
- Example: +1.5556667777
Special Registration Requirements on Certain New TLDs
As new top level domains become available, some of them may add special requirements before they can be registered. These top level domains are marked with a special icon during the registration process. For more details visit New TLD Phases.
Why does my domain say it requires additional assistance?
The domain did not successfully go through FatCow's automated process. We are looking into this and will be in contact with you. You will receive a message at your FatCow account's administrative email address within 2-4 hours.