You can change file and folder/directory permissions using File Manager.
Important: This feature is recommended for advanced users only.
How to Change File or Directory Permissions Using File Manager.
- Log into your Control Panel.
- Go to File Manager.
- Locate the file or directory you want to modify permissions for and check the box.
- Click Permissions.
- Modify the permissions as desired.
- Click Change.
Understanding File and Directory Permission Settings
Permissions control who is able to take what actions on a file or directory. The different types of actions are:
- Read: Allows the file (or directory's contents) to be accessed and viewed.
- Write: Allows the file (or directory's contents) to be modified.
- Execute: Allows the file (or directory's contents) to be run.
Permission groups (user, group, other) refer to the entity requesting a command (to read, write, or execute). Because FatCow has predefined the permission groups for your shared hosting account we highly recommend that you use the default permission settings as described below:
Important: If you use different permissions other than the default mentioned here, you risk making your file/directory more vulnerable to hackers and you risk making your file/directory unusable. Modifying your permissions to the point where nothing is allowed may require you to contact us in order to repair the file/directory's permission settings.